Wyoming is a great state to set up your business. It’s one of the best business environments in the US. If you plan on setting up a business in the State of Wyoming, one of the foremost requirements of the state government is having a registered agent.
What is a Registered Agent?
A registered agent can be a business or an individual appointed to receive legal documents for your company. These legal documents include tax notices, subpoenas, lawsuits, and others.
All companies doing business in the state of Wyoming must have a registered agent to ensure tracking of all legal mail sent within the state. To become a registered agent in the state of Wyoming, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be able to receive mail during business hours at an office
- Be present to receive the legal mail intended for the business you represent
- Have a physical address within Wyoming. Note that making use of a P.O Box is not allowed.
Registered Agent in Wyoming, who can work as one?
A person must meet certain requirements before he/she can work as a registered agent in Wyoming. These requirements are made by the Secretary of the State of Wyoming.
- A registered agent can be an employee of the company or third parties such as lawyers and registered agent service companies that is a resident or an organization that is located in Wyoming and has a valid street address in Wyoming. Corporations and limited liability companies (LLCs) cannot be their registered agents. However, if you are a resident and of legal age (more than 18) in Wyoming, you are allowed to register as your business’s registered agent in a case whereby you have a start-up business or you are a small business entrepreneur.
- If you are a business owner based outside Wyoming, you must first have the authorization to do business.
Changing your Registered Agent in Wyoming
If you have decided to shift to another agency or entity to represent your company in Wyoming, maybe because your previous registered agent moved out of the state, no longer wants the responsibility, or he left your company for another. Changing registered agents is easy and free. All you need to do is follow the following steps, as outlined by the Secretary of the State of Wyoming:
- File for the Change of an Entity’s Office or Registered Agent form with the Secretary of the State of Wyoming.
- You’ll need to put in the information such as the name of your business, the name and physical address of your current and new registered agent, your name and address. You’ll need your new registered agent to complete the consent section of the form so that your request to change your Registered Agent can be approved officially.
The form must be correctly filled, note that there’s no fee to be paid for the document to be processed. After you have completed the filing of the document and the consent section by your new registered agent, you’ll then mail or drop the documents off in person to/at the address:
Wyoming Secretary of State
2020 Carey Avenue, Suite 700
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0020.
You have to know that you cannot change your registered agent in the State of Wyoming by just making changes to your Articles of Organization or your annual reports.
Should I Get a Professional Registered Agent Service Company?
Getting a professional registered agent company can reduce a lot of effort and time for any business owner. There are numerous benefits to it whether you are an established company or a small business owner. Some of these benefits are:
- Making use of their address instead of your home address, especially if you don’t have an office yet. This detail will be included in public records.
- Registered Agent processes paperwork for you
- Notify you immediately if you receive any new legal mail
- Notify you of mandatory filing of Wyoming annual reports
- Help you to avoid penalties for delayed filings
- Assist you with forms and instructions needed to set up your business
- If you operate a small business out of state, they fill in as your local contact in the state.
Several agencies offer registered agent services in Wyoming. However, you have to be careful in finding a trustworthy agent to handle your business.
Advantages of Using a Wyoming Business Address vs. Personal Address
- A business address minimizes exposure of your home address as public information
- Some city municipalities may not allow using home addresses as business offices
- Using your personal address can probably link you to business liabilities
- Using a business address can help you separate business and personal transactions
Having a registered agent is your gateway to setting up a business in the state of Wyoming. Doing it yourself is possible, but it can eat up a lot of your time, money, and energy. It is better to get a registered agent service and use the resources to build your business instead. Let them help you do business hassle-free in Wyoming.