In New Jersey, like in almost all the other states, you need a registered agent to receive the various official documents, tax forms, and even summons that may be sent to your corporation. It’s a crucial job, which is why it’s mandatory in most states. You can’t start and run a business in New Jersey without a registered agent.
Who Can Be a Registered Agent in New Jersey?
Before you replace your current agent, you need to think about the replacement so you enjoy a smooth transition. For the agent you need, several requirements must be met. First of all, they can be any of the following:
- An individual adult (at least 18 years old) who is a resident of New Jersey
- A business entity (such as a professional registered agent service) based in New Jersey.
- A foreign registered agent business entity that’s authorized to do business in New Jersey.
Whether it’s an individual or a business entity, the agent must also have a New Jersey street address. This means a physical location, in which there will always be someone to receive the official documents for your corporation during business hours. It can’t be just a P.O. box.
Steps to Change Registered Agent
To change your registered agent in the State of New Jersey, you’ll go to the New Jersey Online Filing portal where you can either file for a Change of registered agent form or your annual report. Whichever of the two options you choose you can still change your registered agent through either method. If you’re filling for a Change of Registered Agent form, you’ll complete the form and then submit it to the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services of the State of New Jersey.
You’ll be required to make a payment of 25 dollars fee (with payment charges) paid through your Credit Card or an eCheck alongside the documents you’ll submit if you’re changing your Registered Agent in the State of New Jersey by filling in for a change of registered agent form. Submitting an annual report through the New Jersey Online Filing portal costs 50 dollars plus whatever the payment charges are. You can make payment with your Credit Card or an eCheck.
Info to Put In
You will be required to enter the following information:
- Name of your LLC or business as it is registered with the Secretary of the State of New Jersey in its Articles of Organization.
- Number of your LLC or business as it is registered with the Secretary of the State of New Jersey in its Articles of Organization
- The name and complete business or residential address of the new registered agent for your business.
- The name and complete business or residential address of the current registered agent for your business.
- The signature of the consent of the new registered agent.
The form has guides and tips to help make sure you put in the exact information asked for. Just read the directions carefully and follow them exactly.
The filings; both the change of registered agent form and the annual report can only be completed online through the New Jersey Online Filing portal.
Should You Hire a Professional?
This will actually be a lot easier if you’re planning on sifting to a professional registered agent service. The best ones offer exemplary service at extremely reasonable rates. Often, you’re able to download the needed forms with pre-filled information about the service to save time and effort. Northwest Registered agent is one of the most popular companies for this job.
With professionals, you know for sure the job gets done right. They usually have online storage for all the official documents. When they receive the documents for the corporation, the service will immediately scan them so they can send you the digital copies right away. The documents will also be conveniently stored in the same online location as your other business documents, like your formation documents.
Professionals may even maintain a compliance calendar, warning you way ahead of time when you should file a report or comply with some requirement with a deadline. That means you virtually eliminate the risk that you’ll fail to comply with any sort of compliance requirement. Such a failure may lead to fines and penalties, and perhaps even to the dissolution of your corporation. Reinstating your LLC can be a huge hassle, and it’s like starting the formation process for your LLC all over again.
So, if you’re going to change your registered agent in New Jersey, you may as well do yourself a favor and switch to a good registered agent service. With the benefits you get with the low costs, you’re able to focus more on growing your business instead.
Who Should Use It:
If you are willing to pay a little more for top-notch customer support and want to combine virtual office and mail forwarding services with registered agent service.
- Top-notch customer service. Great Phone Support.
- Focus on Privacy.
- Documents are scanned on the same day they are received. Mail forwarding is also available.
- Money back refund possible within 90 days
- No hidden charges. They handle all fees associated with the change in RA (good if you plan to change your registered agent).
- Not the cheapest. Zenbusiness is slightly cheaper.
Who Should Use It: If you need a basic reliable registered agent service at a great price, ZenBusiness is a good choice.
- Affordable pricing. Plans start from $99/year. Offers free registered agent service with its incorporation service
- Convenient online dashboard for documents
- Offers business formation services
- It is a public benefit corporation.
- BBB accredited (A-) and positive word of mouth on internet communities.
- Does not forward mails.
- No pro-rated refunds.
Pricing: $99/year. It is reduced to $89/year if you opt for a 3+ years package.
Who Should Use It: If you are looking for reliable registered agent services that help track regulatory requirements and promptly notify about lawsuits, Harbor Compliance is a good choice.
- Affordable pricing and no hidden fees. Price starts from $99 a year. Multiyear discounts.
- Annual reports notification.
- Same-day document scanning and delivery.
- You get phone notifications of lawsuits. Other companies generally notify via email.
- No refund if you cancel the service.
- They do not offer physical delivery of mail
Who Should Use It: Medium-sized or Start-up Business owners who want to take advantage of Rocket Lawyer’s legal subscription services and don’t mind paying to pay a little extra to get their legal needs fulfilled in one place.
- Support from legal experts. You can avail all kinds of legal services in one place.
- Prompt customer service and Money-back guarantee
- You do not get free registered agent service with the business formation.
- Good customer support. Good reputation among users.
- Price is on the higher side.
- No pro-rated or full refund option even if you cancel.
Pricing: $119/year. Free for the first year if you use their incorporation service.
Who Should Use It: If your objective is to minimize the startup costs in the first year, Incfile is a decent choice.
- Automatic mail forwarding service. Email and SMS notifications
- Free for the first year if you also incorporate your business with Incfile.
- It will cost you $119/year as a standalone service.
- Customer reviews and word of mouth is mixed. Many customers complain about slow TAT and long waiting time for customer support.
- Lots of upsells. You may just choose to ignore it.