In Kansas, like in almost all the other states, you need a registered agent to receive the various official documents, tax forms, and even summons that may be sent to your corporation. It’s a crucial job, which is why it’s mandatory in most states. You can’t start and run a business in Kansas without a registered agent.
Who Can Be a Registered Agent in Kansas?
Before you replace your current agent, you need to think about the replacement so you enjoy a smooth transition. For the agent you need, several requirements must be met. First of all, they can be any of the following:
- An individual adult (at least 18 years old) who is a resident of Kansas
- A business entity (such as a professional registered agent service).
- A foreign registered agent business entity that’s authorized to do business in Kansas
Whether it’s an individual or a business entity, the agent must also have a Kansas street address. This means a physical location, in which there will always be someone to receive the official documents for your corporation during business hours. It can’t be just a P.O. box.
Steps to Change Registered Agent
To change your registered agent in the State of Kansas, you’ll start the process by applying for a change of resident agent or resident office which can be filed online through the Business Center of the State of Kansas or you can choose to download the Form RLL 53-06, complete it and then mail or deliver it in person.
You’ll be required to pay a sum of 30 dollars through a credit card if you’re submitting the form online. Meanwhile, you’ll have to pay 35 dollars through a check or money order if you’re submitting through non-electronic means such as mail, fax, or in person. The check should be made payable to the “Kansas Secretary of State’s Office”.
Info to Put In
You will be required to enter the following information:
- The name issued to your LLC by the State of Kansas when you formed your business.
- The name and complete business or residential address of the new registered agent for your business, and its entity number if your new agent is an entity.
The form has guides and tips to help make sure you put in the exact information asked for. Just read the directions carefully and follow them exactly.
You can submit the files online, through the mail, fax, or in person.
To file the documents by mail, print the forms and attach the check for the 35 dollars fee and mail to the address:
Kansas Office of the Secretary of State
Memorial Hall, 1st Floor
120 S.W. 10th Ave
Topeka, Kansas 66612-1594.
You can also choose to submit the documents through fax. If you’re filing through fax, the documents and check should be faxed to (785) 296-4570. Note that you’ll be required to pay an extra fee of 20 dollars if you’re faxing your documents.
You also have an option of submitting the documents and the check in person. You can simply drop the documents and check to the same address as the mail.
The State of Kansas usually takes between 2 to 3 working days to process the change of a Registered Agent.
Should You Hire a Professional?
This will actually be a lot easier if you’re planning on sifting to a professional registered agent service. The best ones offer exemplary service at extremely reasonable rates. Often, you’re able to download the needed forms with pre-filled information about the service to save time and effort. Northwest Registered agent is one of the most popular companies for this job.
With professionals, you know for sure the job gets done right. They usually have online storage for all the official documents. When they receive the documents for the corporation, the service will immediately scan them so they can send you the digital copies right away. The documents will also be conveniently stored in the same online location as your other business documents, like your formation documents.
Professionals may even maintain a compliance calendar, warning you way ahead of time when you should file a report or comply with some requirement with a deadline. That means you virtually eliminate the risk that you’ll fail to comply with any sort of compliance requirement. Such a failure may lead to fines and penalties, and perhaps even to the dissolution of your corporation. Reinstating your LLC can be a huge hassle, and it’s like starting the formation process for your LLC all over again.
So, if you’re going to change your registered agent in Kansas, you may as well do yourself a favor and switch to a good registered agent service. With the benefits you get with the low costs, you’re able to focus more on growing your business instead.
Who Should Use It:
If you are willing to pay a little more for top-notch customer support and want to combine virtual office and mail forwarding services with registered agent service.
- Top-notch customer service. Great Phone Support.
- Focus on Privacy.
- Documents are scanned on the same day they are received. Mail forwarding is also available.
- Money back refund possible within 90 days
- No hidden charges. They handle all fees associated with the change in RA (good if you plan to change your registered agent).
- Not the cheapest. Zenbusiness is slightly cheaper.
Who Should Use It: If you need a basic reliable registered agent service at a great price, ZenBusiness is a good choice.
- Affordable pricing. Plans start from $99/year. Offers free registered agent service with its incorporation service
- Convenient online dashboard for documents
- Offers business formation services
- It is a public benefit corporation.
- BBB accredited (A-) and positive word of mouth on internet communities.
- Does not forward mails.
- No pro-rated refunds.
Pricing: $99/year. It is reduced to $89/year if you opt for a 3+ years package.
Who Should Use It: If you are looking for reliable registered agent services that help track regulatory requirements and promptly notify about lawsuits, Harbor Compliance is a good choice.
- Affordable pricing and no hidden fees. Price starts from $99 a year. Multiyear discounts.
- Annual reports notification.
- Same-day document scanning and delivery.
- You get phone notifications of lawsuits. Other companies generally notify via email.
- No refund if you cancel the service.
- They do not offer physical delivery of mail
Who Should Use It: Medium-sized or Start-up Business owners who want to take advantage of Rocket Lawyer’s legal subscription services and don’t mind paying to pay a little extra to get their legal needs fulfilled in one place.
- Support from legal experts. You can avail all kinds of legal services in one place.
- Prompt customer service and Money-back guarantee
- You do not get free registered agent service with the business formation.
- Good customer support. Good reputation among users.
- Price is on the higher side.
- No pro-rated or full refund option even if you cancel.
Pricing: $119/year. Free for the first year if you use their incorporation service.
Who Should Use It: If your objective is to minimize the startup costs in the first year, Incfile is a decent choice.
- Automatic mail forwarding service. Email and SMS notifications
- Free for the first year if you also incorporate your business with Incfile.
- It will cost you $119/year as a standalone service.
- Customer reviews and word of mouth is mixed. Many customers complain about slow TAT and long waiting time for customer support.
- Lots of upsells. You may just choose to ignore it.