How to Change a Registered Agent in Hawaii?

In Hawaii, like in almost all the other states, you need a registered agent to receive the various official documents, tax forms, and even summons that may be sent to your corporation. It’s a crucial job, which is why it’s mandatory in most states. You can’t start and run a business in Hawaii without a registered agent.


Who Can Be a Registered Agent in Hawaii?

Before you replace your current agent, you need to think about the replacement so you enjoy a smooth transition. For the agent you need, several requirements must be met. First of all, they can be any of the following:

  • An individual adult (at least 18 years old) who is a resident of Hawaii
  • A business entity (such as a professional registered agent service).
  • A foreign registered agent business entity that’s authorized to do business in Hawaii

Whether it’s an individual or a business entity, the agent must also have a Hawaii street address. This means a physical location, in which there will always be someone to receive the official documents for your corporation during business hours. It can’t be just a P.O. box.


Steps to Change Registered Agent

To change your registered agent in the State of Hawaii, you’ll start the process by proceeding to the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs in Hawaii to file Form X-7 also known as the Statement of Change of Registered Agent by Entity. You can also fill the form online through the link. If you’re downloading the file to submit the papers through the mail, you’ll have to type out the details you’ll be putting in or you can write legibly on the form with black ink.

Irrespective of the filing or submission method you choose, you’ll be required to make a payment of 25 dollars alongside the documents you’ll be submitting. You can pay through a check that is payable to the Hawaii “Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs” or with a credit card if you’re submitting online.


Info to Put In

You will be required to enter the following information:

  • The name issued to your LLC by the State of Hawaii when you formed your business.
  • The structure of your business
  • The name and complete business or residential address of the current registered agent for your business, and its entity number if your new agent is an entity.
  • The name and complete business or residential address of the new registered agent for your business, and its entity number if your new agent is an entity.
  • An authorized person’s signature. The authorized person must be registered with your business.

The form has guides and tips to help make sure you put in the exact information asked for. Just read the directions carefully and follow them exactly. Note that the second page of the form doesn’t have these guides and you may have to take a look at the Registered Agent Act of the State of Hawaii for more details.


Submission Options

You can submit the files online, through mail, fax, email, or in person.

To file the documents by mail, print the forms and attach the check for the fee and mail to the address:

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

Business Registration Division

P.O. Box 40

Honolulu, Hawaii 96810.

You can also choose to submit the documents through fax. If you’re filing through fax, the documents and check should be faxed to (808) 586-2733.

If you’re submitting through email, email the documents to the email address: and pay with your Credit Card.

You also have an option of submitting the documents and the check in person. You can simply drop the documents and check to the address:

State of Hawaii

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

Business Registration Division

335 Merchant St.

Honolulu, HI 96810.

The State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs usually takes up to 5 working days to process the change of a Registered Agent. You can speed up the process by paying a sum of 25 dollars for a 1 to 3 working days expedited service.


Should You Hire a Professional?

This will actually be a lot easier if you’re planning on sifting to a professional registered agent service. The best ones offer exemplary service at extremely reasonable rates. Often, you’re able to download the needed forms with pre-filled information about the service to save time and effort. Northwest Registered agent is one of the most popular companies for this job.

With professionals, you know for sure the job gets done right. They usually have online storage for all the official documents. When they receive the documents for the corporation, the service will immediately scan them so they can send you the digital copies right away. The documents will also be conveniently stored in the same online location as your other business documents, like your formation documents.

Professionals may even maintain a compliance calendar, warning you way ahead of time when you should file a report or comply with some requirement with a deadline. That means you virtually eliminate the risk that you’ll fail to comply with any sort of compliance requirement. Such a failure may lead to fines and penalties, and perhaps even to the dissolution of your corporation. Reinstating your LLC can be a huge hassle, and it’s like starting the formation process for your LLC all over again.

So, if you’re going to change your registered agent in Hawaii, you may as well do yourself a favor and switch to a good registered agent service. With the benefits you get with the low costs, you’re able to focus more on growing your business instead.

%d bloggers like this: